Saturday, May 5, 2007

When I Sing - Maya

Prompt: When I Sing


When I sing
My heart opens
The breath moves, relieved
Ah -- at last –-
To be released --
Why do you hold me for so long?
How can you forget so often?

Breath, song,
The great Ha
Sent forth into the world
In praise in gratitude in celebration.

Song opens, then,
Unfolding, like muscles rippling
in Continuum undulate
Like a gift happy to be opened and given.

When I sing
I wander into harmonies
The fun of higher or lower
Contrasting notes
Playing against each other,
Notes in patterns
Like colors printing themselves
Across a page -
The red over the black
The green twining around the purple.

It’s too simple to say
Singing is a joy
Because sometimes
It’s sorrow it’s escape it’s communion-
That singing
That singing together.

I mean, there’s singing alone
In the car with the radio or CD
And that’s fine and I
Can sing really loud because no one
Will hear me
And I can ignore the looks of other drivers
I will never see again.

But then there’s the
Singing together,
The heart-singing fun-singing-
Around-the-campfire kind of singing,
And the group singing
So full of ecstatic voice that
Tears spontaneously fill up the eyes and
Have to spill over.

When I sing –
When I remember to sing –
I love -- I think –-
Why don’t I sing every day?
Even alone.
Why do I forget
The singing?

1 comment:

Greg Kimura said...

Indeed. So easy to forget to sing, to forget our song. Thanks for the reminder!