Sunday, June 29, 2008

Fog Floats Over Water - Kevin

My mind is fog
Waiting for the sun
Waiting to remember

The house
The lake

Days you couldn't see five feet in front of you
And too many days of complete clarity

Our finch bounces with life in its cage
As mother watches from the bed, her life sneaking away

From across the lake a cello plays

Father's question:
Is it the big things in life that matter?
Or is it the small things that remind us how big
The big things really are?

The wood of the dock creaks steadily from out the window
Like a lullaby

I can't sleep
Then I can
I am like two different people

The cello plays and I can never see from where
It could be played by a ghost
The ghost haunts me through music

Each morning
Here on the dock
At first light
I can convince myself I am the only person on earth

By last light I have learned the hard way
That isn't true

Silver fish peekaboo beneath me like swimming nickels

Father's arms
Veins bulging
Row the boat

Mother's hands
Veins collapsing
Put on lipstick, even at the end

Our finch
The cello
Music
Life somewhere out there
Just beyond the quiet whiteness

I hold up my hand
I can barely see it
Maybe this means
I barely exist

Fog floats over water.


For more of my writing, go to: http://sportpastime.blogspot.com

3 comments:

DixieLynn said...

Kevin,
this is so beautiful, even better than when you read it aloud.
dixie

Cyndi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cyndi said...

Different style of writing than you usually do. Wonderful piece!!